home >> our story >>
Purple sweet potato plant is in the same family as the
morning glory. It produces a large sweet tasting tuberous root
classified as a root vegetable. This potato has a purple skin as
well as purple flesh which maintains its rich color when cooked.
Years of development have produced a plant that yields high quality purple
sweet potatoes that are unusually healthy and nutritious.
Since the Stokes Purple is locally grown in the USA, it is NOT irradiated
before it reaches the consumer. Other varieties of purple sweet
potatoes that are imported from overseas must be irradiated when they
enter the USA. Also, Stokes Purples have not been genetically
modified in any way and are classified as Non-GMO
Purple sweet potatoes contain antioxidants
that help to prevent diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.
They boost immunity, are anti-inflammatory, and keep bones and skin
healthy. The most powerful antioxidants are phytochemicals.
- Purple sweet potatoes obtain their rich purple color from the
- Anthocyanin content is retained after cooking or freezing
Stokes Purples. (Steed,
- Anthocyanin content in the Stokes Purple is 4 times greater than in
Okinawan sweet potatoes.(Truong,
- Moderate consumption of anthocyanin products has been shown in
epidemiological studies to reduce cardiovascular disease and improve
visual functions. (Hou,2003)
- Purple sweet potatoes are high in anthocyanins and show strong
radical scavenging activity thus reducing your risk of developing
chronic diseases. (Kano,
- Anthocyanins in purple sweet potatoes exhibited memory enhancing
effects, which may be associated with its antioxidant properties.
- Stokes Purples were found to have nutraceutical components in
competitive levels with other food commodities known to be good sources
of antioxidants. (Steed,
- Purple sweet potatoes are also diabetic friendly. The Glycemic
index is lower in sweet potatoes than in white potatoes.
The carbohydrate in foods with a low Glycemic index breaks down slowly,
releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream.
- The best source of phytochemicals is in whole foods and NOT in
expensive dietary supplements. (Liu,
Purple sweet potatoes rank high in nutritional value along with other
Purple sweet potatoes are a high source of:
- Antioxidants from anthocyanins and polyphenolic compounds
They are also a good source of:
- Dietary fiber
- Complex carbohydrate
Purple sweet potatoes are also very low in:
Purple Sweet Potatoes (cooked)
|Serving Size: 4 oz|
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value
|Total Fat 0
| Saturated fat 0
fat 0 g
Carbohydrate 29 g
| Dietary Fiber 4
| Sugars 4 g
Value: Indicates how food fits within a 2,000 calorie
diet. Based on dietary recommendations for most healthy